Advocacy & Science Policy Committee
This committee is charged with identifying issues and generating recommendations in response to proposed government research initiatives, regulatory requirements, NIH research grant submission policies; reviewing issues that affect basic and clinical researchers who are members of ASBMR; and advocating on behalf of ASBMR members for research funding mechanisms, and researcher-friendly policies and procedures in concert with staff and relevant coalitions and partners. This committee is also charged with:
- Prioritizing science policy issues and focusing on areas critical to the Society and where effort is likely to have an impact; working in close collaboration with FASEB and other coalitions; and tracking the effect of science policies in which it has involvement.
- Reviewing its advocacy strategy annually in collaboration with the National Coalition for Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases (the Bone Coalition) and focus on U.S. federal sources of research funding, particularly NIH, where it should also strive for close relationships with the NIH Institute Directors and staff.
- Collaborating with the Bone Coalition to provide expert testimony and educational material to aid the Coalition's efforts on Capitol Hill and suggest scientific directions for new grants and funding mechanisms to federal research funding institutions.
- Reviewing and communicating advocacy- and science policy-related information regularly to the membership.
- Working closely with other committees when necessary on issues of mutual concern and of importance to ASBMR members.
Larry J. Suva, Chairperson
Laura R. McCabe
Elizabeth J. Samelson
Robert S. Weinstein
Sylvia Christakos, Ex Officio
Suzanne M. Jan De Beur, Ex Officio
Deborah V. Novack, Council Liaison
Ann Elderkin, Staff Liaison
Douglas Fesler, Staff Liaison