ASBMR Grants in Aid Program (GAP)
ASBMR is announcing its continued commitment to provide $1 million in research funding through the ASBMR Grants in Aid Program (GAP). The program was established in response to the difficult funding climate that is occurring worldwide and impacting the future of bone and mineral research. The GAP program will offer twenty (20) grants of $50,000 USD to ASBMR members who have submitted a peer-reviewed grant application to a major funding sponsor within the last 15 months and received a full review but were not funded. The goal of the grant is to allow the award recipient to continue to develop the research and strengthen the proposal for future funding. The grant program is open to established and young investigators, and to U.S. and international members. International members living outside the United States are encouraged to apply. The ASBMR GAP Awards Committee will be comprised of US and international members and the review process will ensure a fair review for all applications.
Total funding: $1 million
Amount of each grant: $50,000 (U.S. Dollars, no indirect costs)
Total number of grants: Eight (8) awards will be given in this last cycle.
To be eligible, an applicant must:
- Be a U.S. or international ASBMR member at time of submission and retain membership during the period of the ASBMR GAP Award. International members living outside the United States are encouraged to apply.
- Have submitted a peer-reviewed grant application to a major funding sponsor within the last 15 months and received a full review.
- If scored and reviewer comments are available, they must be submitted.
- If no score or reviewer comments are available, provide a letter from funding source indicating grant was reviewed but not chosen for funding.
- Submit a copy of the initial grant application, scores (if available), and reviewer comments or funding agency decision letter (if funding sponsor does not provide reviewer comments). For international members whose grant applications and reviewer comments or funding agency decision letters are not in English, these should be translated to English by the applicant.
- Provide a brief description (up to three pages) indicating how these limited funds will be used, how the outcome will progress the research and impact the research proposal, how reviewer comments (if provided) will be addressed, and when the revised or new proposal will be resubmitted to a major funding source.
- Not exceed $250,000 USD (or equivalent) in direct costs in total funding support from other sources. Applicants must disclose extramural support from all public and private sources, including government and industry.
- Not have previously received (as an investigator) an ASBMR GAP Award.
- Not resubmit an ASBMR GAP Award application unless it is significantly different (>51%) from a prior application.
- Not be an ASBMR Councilor or ASBMR GAP Awards Committee member.
The application deadline for round 3 has passed. Award notifications will be sent in April 2015.
Congratulations to the awardees from the first round of the GAP Award!
Congratulations to the awardees from the second round of the GAP Award!
Please contact the ASBMR business office with any questions – email@example.com, +1(202) 367-1161.