The American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) is seeking an Editor-in-Chief to launch a new online Open Access Journal. The appointment will be for a five-year term that begins in January 2017. The Open Access Journal Editor-in-Chief Search Committee invites applications for the position at this time. The Search Committee will consider candidates and after consultation with the ASBMR Publications Committee, conduct in-person interviews with finalists in Washington, DC, USA in July 2016. Specific recommendations for Editor-in-Chief will be made by the Search Committee to the ASBMR Council in September 2016.
Candidates must hold an earned MD, MD/PhD, PhD, DDS, DDS/PhD, DVM, MBBS or equivalent degree(s) and have a broad-based background in the bone and mineral field, a distinguished research and publication record, high standing among peers, substantive experience with journal editorial processes, and outstanding English-language oral and writing skills. Assuming suitable Internet access, candidates from any location in the world will be considered.
Chief responsibilities of the Open Access Journal Editor-in-Chief include:
- Developing and implementing a vision and goals for a new online Open Access Journal, with input from the ASBMR Executive Committee, Council and Publications Committee and recommending to the Publications Committee and Council, at timely intervals, new directions in light of developments in the bone and mineral field and in scholarly journal publishing
- Communicating regularly with the JBMR® Editor-in-Chief to align both journals’ strategic initiatives
- Determining the scientific content of the Open Access Journal and publishing the most authoritative and highest-quality basic, translational and clinical research in the bone and mineral field
- Overseeing the peer review of manuscripts to ensure fair, balanced, accurate, and timely reviews and editorial decisions
- Constituting and overseeing the work of Senior Associate Editors, Associate Editors, and the Editorial Board
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the ASBMR Council and Publications Committee
- Making recommendations to the ASBMR Executive Committee, Council and Publications Committee regarding editorial policies
- Maintaining effective working relationships with the ASBMR Executive Committee, Council, Publications Committee and other governance groups
- Working cooperatively with the staff of the ASBMR and the ASBMR’s publisher in all aspects of producing the Open Access Journal, to include having substantive input on annual expense budgets developed in conjunction with the ASBMR staff
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vita together with a one- or two-page letter discussing their level of interest, vision for the Journal, qualifications, and any potential conflicts of interests, and complete a questionnaire no later than June 15, 2016. The letter of application should be addressed to John P. Bilezikian, M.D., Chair, Editor-in-Chief Search Committee and submitted online at http://www.asbmr.org/JBMR/Application.aspx.
Three letters of support are also required and candidates should see that these are e-mailed to Dr. John P. Bilezikian, c/o Ann L. Elderkin, ASBMR Executive Director, email@example.com.
A complete position description and instructions for applying may be found on the ASBMR web site at the URL provided above.