You could be considered an under-represented minority if you fall into any of the below categories.
- Individuals with disabilities, who are defined as those with a physical or mental impairment
- The following racial and ethnic groups have been shown to be underrepresented in biomedical research:
- Hispanic or Latino: A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican,South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race. The term “Spanish origin” can also be used in addition to “Hispanic or Latino.”
- American Indian or Alaska Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North, Central, or South America, and who maintains tribal affiliations or community attachment.
- Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.