What Information Is Collected?
- ASBMR collects certain personal information from its members to insure that ASBMR membership records are accurate and up-to-date. This information includes:
- First and last name
- Home or office mailing address, including street name, name of city or town, state or province, postal code, and country
- E-mail address (where available)
- Telephone number(s)
- Fax number(s)
- Personal website address (where available)
- ASBMR identification number
- Payment information (if provided to pay for dues and/or purchases)
- Advanced degrees earned
- Career information, including specialties, institutional affiliations, career stage, professional society memberships, and primary sources of research funding
- ASBMR uses SSL encryption software, so that sensitive personal data, including credit card details, are securely transmitted.
- The ASBMR website does not track, collect or distribute personal information about its visitors. It does recognize the home server of visitors, but not e-mail addresses. For example, ASBMR can determine which Internet service provider our visitors use, but not the names, addresses or other information about our visitors that would allow us to identify the particular visitors to our sites.
How Is This Personal Information Used?
- Personal information may be used for internal ASBMR purposes, by authorized ASBMR staff. These purposes include: identifying percentages of ASBMR members at particular career stages or receiving funding from specific sources, to guide program and product development.
- Personal information is not released to third parties except as noted below:
- The ASBMR offers ASBMR member mailing lists to other not-for-profit educational organizations. The information ASBMR provides to these organizations includes only the name and address of the ASBMR member. The ASBMR never shares member e-mail addresses with other organizations.
- Certain limited information (i.e., name and address of ASBMR members) may be provided upon request to other not-for-profit organizations whose missions are consistent with the mission of the ASBMR, and to companies wishing to rent the information, upon the review and approval of materials to be disseminated, by the Executive Director or Associate Executive Director.
- ASBMR members, through the ASBMR website's password-protected, online Membership Directory, may obtain information about fellow ASBMR members, including a member's name, address, e-mail, fax number, telephone number, and research interests.
- Annual Meeting pre-registration lists, including attendees' name and address, are available for rent to Exhibitors in advance of the Annual Meeting. In addition, attendee names and addresses are available at the Annual Meeting to Exhibitors through a "lead retrieval system" mechanism. Attendees who allow Exhibitors to "swipe" their lead retrieval cards enable Exhibitors to contact them easily after the ASBMR Annual Meeting. After the Annual Meeting, Exhibitors also obtain a list of the names and addresses of the Annual Meeting attendees for one-time use.
Can An Individual's Personal Information Be Viewed and/or Corrected?
The ASBMR encourages members to update and correct their personal information regularly through the ASBMR website.
How Long Will Personal Information Be Retained?
The ASBMR retains personal information regarding ASBMR members indefinitely.
Can I Opt Out of Dissemination?
ASBMR members may opt out of all ASBMR website functions to ensure that no member contact details, including name, will be accessible online to anyone. Members may also opt-out of having their contact information disseminated to particular third parties or from receiving regular broadcast e-mails sent from the Society to members. To opt-out of some or all of these components, contact the ASBMR Business Office directly. By choosing to opt-out of some or all of these components, a member will still have access to the password-protected Online ASBMR Membership Directory.
What Payment Information Protection Is Used?
Several ASBMR web servers are used for payments. All of these web servers have a VeriSign SSL certificate to protect the confidentiality of users' credit card and other personal information. VeriSign Inc. delivers critical infrastructure services that make our website more intelligent, reliable, and secure.