FASEB is offering awards for eligible underrepresented students and postdoctoral/clinical trainee fellows to help defray meeting registration and/or travel-related expenses associated with attending the ASBMR 2018 Meeting. These funds are meant to defray the cost of meeting registration, lodging, air/ground transportation expenses, and per diem allowance (if applicable). Full-time undergraduate/graduate/medical students and postdoctoral/clinical trainee fellows (who are identified as being from a group considered underrepresented in the biomedical, clinical and behavioral sciences) are eligible to apply for the trainee awards. Full-time undergraduate/graduate/medical students and postdoctoral/clinical trainee fellows at accredited educational institutions in the USA are also eligible to apply for mentored travel awards. These are federally-funded awards and are restricted to USA Citizens/Legal Permanent Residents of the USA, who also reside in the USA or USA territories. The amount of the award is up to $1,000 maximum for the ASBMR 2018 Meeting participation and must be applied to related expenses including travel (air and ground transportation) and meeting registration.
The awards will be processed as reimbursements to the award recipients after the meeting is over. Original receipts will be required in order to receive reimbursement. The maximum amount to be reimbursed for meeting- and/or travel-related expenses will be indicated in the award recipient’s award letter.
Details about the Mentored Meeting Activities related to the FASEB Mentored Poster/Platform Presenter Awards are available on the last page of the application packet. This is a MANDATORY participation award. DO NOT apply for the FASEB Mentored Poster/Platform Presenter Award if you do not wish to participate, or are not certain about your ability to participate in the structured mentoring program and activities as described on the last page of this application form. If you apply and are approved to receive a mentored poster/platform presenter award and later change your mind about participating in the structured mentoring program and activities, your entire award will be rescinded and cancelled completely, and you will not be reimbursed for any expenses you have already incurred, or will eventually incur. Please indicate your understanding and acknowledgement of the restrictions and guidelines for this FASEB Mentored Poster/Platform Presenter Award on the second page of the application form.
ELIGIBLE UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE-PhD/MEDICAL STUDENTS AND POSTDOCTORAL/CLINICAL TRAINEE FELLOWS WHO WISH TO BE CONSIDERED FOR FASEB MENTORED POSTER/PLATFORM PRESENTER AWARD FUNDING MUST:
- Be a USA Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident of the USA. (A copy of one of the following: USA Passport ID Page, Birth Certificate, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of United States Citizenship, Consular Registration of Birth Abroad, or Permanent Resident “green card” is required.)
- Register early for the meeting.
- Follow abstract submission guidelines. Submit your abstract for ASBMR 2018 Meeting. NOTE: You may submit your travel award application packet to FASEB at the same time you submit your abstract to ASBMR. Travel award applications may be approved tentative upon your abstracts being programmed for the ASBMR 2018 Meeting.
Complete and submit this application form including all supporting documentation at the time you submit your abstract.
- IMPORTANT: When you receive your notification letter indicating that your research abstract will be programmed and included as a poster or oral presentation as part of the ASBMR 2018 Program, submit the ASBMR 2018 confirmation letter to FASEB as soon as possible and no later than 14 calendar days before the first day of the ASBMR 2018 Meeting. Failure to complete this process will void your FASEB Mentored Poster/Platform Presenter Award application.
Submit any required documentation (copy of green card, tribal affiliation certificate, USA Passport ID page, etc.) if applicable.
- A copy of your letter of confirmation of programmed poster/oral presentation, if available. (This may be submitted within 48 hours after you receive notification from ASBMR of your confirmed programmed abstract.)
- A copy of your extended abstract. (See extended abstract sample information available at http://www.faseb.org/Professional-Development-and-Diversity-Resources/Travel-Awards/Application-Forms.aspx.)
- A letter on departmental letterhead signed by your advisor, mentor, chair or dean that affirms your academic student or postdoc status, and requests consideration for a FASEB Mentored Poster/Platform Presenter Award for you. Be sure to include the contact information of your scientific advisor, mentor, chair or dean.
- A copy of your current CV/resume including all sources of funding you are receiving/have received.
- A one-page statement demonstrating financial need and identifying potential benefits to be gained (in addition to presenting and discussing your research at the meeting) and the anticipated effect this may have on your career goals.
All award applicants must be approved by the FASEB Diversity Resources Program review committee. Extended abstracts submitted and accepted as poster or platform presentations will be used as the basis for the awards. The FASEB Diversity Resources Program review committee will select the award recipients based on all supporting documentation from applicants who are eligible for funding as specified by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, National Institutes of Health (NIGMS/NIH.) In addition, preference will be given to FASEB Society members. Funding for the awards is contingent upon funding availability.
Apply early! Applicants selected to receive an award will be notified by the FASEB Diversity Resources Program staff upon approval of their application.