Frequently Asked Questions
- Where do I start?
- How do I build my profile?
- My profile is 73% complete. How do I get it to 100%?
- In the profile, what does the maximum number of mentees and mentors mean?
- How do I know whether my profile picture has been added to the profile?
- How do I navigate the site?
- Find mentors
- Find mentees
- How do I search for a mentor/mentee?
- What's the difference between the Home page and the Relationships section?
- When would I use 'Attach File'?
- How does the Goals section work?
- What happens if I withdraw an invitation?
- Why does the top menu bar sometimes disappear and there is a 3-line button in its place?
- How are the hours and the number of meetings tracked?
- How will I be notified when I receive an invitation?
- Why should I complete the Mentoring Agreement?
- How do I unpair from my current mentor/mentee?
Where do I start?
The first step is to complete your profile by importing your LinkedIn Profile – click on the ‘Connect on LinkedIn’ button which is on the top right-hand side of the profile page. If you do not have a LinkedIn profile, that’s okay; it only takes a few minutes to complete your profile.
Once you have finished your profile, then you can click on Find Mentor or Find Mentee.
How do I build my profile?
There are three sections in the profile, Basic Information, Employment, and Competencies.
Please include as much information as you feel comfortable sharing. At the bottom of the Basic Information section, click on ‘Save and go to the Employment section’ to advance to the Employment section. In the Employment section, if you haven’t imported your LinkedIn profile, then you will need to click on ‘+ Add another position.’ Once you have added your employment experiences, then you can click on ‘Save and go to the Competencies section.’
In the Competencies section, just be honest about the skills that you would like to develop and those that you are strong in as it helps the platform to recommend matches.
You are now ready to click on Find Mentor or Find Mentee.
My profile is 73% complete. How do I get it to 100%?
If you aren't already in the profile section, click 'Profile' at the top menu bar. On the right side of the screen, you should see a bar under 'Your Profile Completeness' that shows you what percentage of your profile has been completed. Underneath that are 'Tips' which tell you what you need to do to complete your profile. Please note that not all of these sections are required; it is possible to complete all of the required fields and still have an incomplete profile. You do not need to have a profile that is 100% complete to find a mentor/mentee.
In the profile, what does the maximum number of mentees and mentors mean?
You can set the maximum number of mentees that you can take on at the same time and the maximum number of mentors that you can take on at the same time. For example, if you enter that you can take on two mentees then once you receive two invitations, you won’t show up in search results until you either decline one of the invitations or end a mentoring relationship.
How do I know whether my profile picture has been added to the profile?
In the profile picture section of the profile, once you click on ‘Choose File,’ then you can select the photo that you would like to use from your computer. Once you have done this, the profile photo name will be displayed in this section. After you click on 'Save and go to the employment section', your profile picture will be saved. Once you've saved this section, click 'Profile' at the top of the page to see your profile photo.
How do I navigate the site?
The easiest way to navigate the site is by clicking on the menu items which are displayed at the top of the page (if you see 3-lines, then click on this, and you will see the menu items):
- To view your profile.
- To edit your profile, click on ‘Edit profile.’
- To advance to the next profile section, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Save’ button.
- Enter the criteria that are important for your mentor to have such as Presentation Skills in the Specialized Skills section.
- Click on ‘Save and Search.’
- Review mentor profiles.
- Click on a mentor to see their full profile.
- At the bottom of the page, send them a message about why you would like to set up an initial mentoring meeting with them.
- Click on ‘Send Invitation.’
- Enter the criteria that are important for your mentee to have such as Self-Confidence in the Development Areas section if this an area that you would to help a mentee develop.
- Click on ‘Save and Search.’
- Review mentee profiles.
- Click on a mentee to see their full profile.
- At the bottom of the page, send them a message about why you would like to support them as their mentor.
- Click on ‘Send Invitation.’
- See a summary of your current and completed mentoring relationships:
- Your Mentors
- Your Mentees
- Your Groups
- Click on a mentoring relationship to visit the relationship page:
- Schedule meetings
- Send messages
- Complete the Mentoring Agreement
- Enter goals and check them off once they have been achieved
- Enter hours and the number of meetings
- Take notes
- At the end of your relationship, complete a Program Evaluation
- In the Actions column, click on ‘’
- Review the Discussion and contribute
- Review Publications, Articles, and Videos
How do I search for a mentor/mentee?
When conducting a search for a mentor or mentee, please follow these steps:
- Enter the criteria that are important to you (e.g. Specialized Skills).
- Click on ‘Save and Search.’
- Review the profiles.
= Less compatible with you
= More compatible with you
- Click on a profile which interests you.
- Review the profile in detail.
- At the bottom of the page, write an invitation.
- Click on ‘Send Invitation’.
What’s the difference between the Home page and the Relationships section?
The Homepage is your dashboard; it has a summary of all the items that you can do such as Events, Discussions, and a summary of all your current mentoring relationships. The Relationships section has all the relationships that you are currently in and those that have been completed.
When would I use ‘Attach File’?
When you are in a mentoring relationship, in the ‘Send Message’ section, you have the option to attach a file by clicking on ‘Attach File.’ When you click on this, it will open a box to search your computer for the file that you would like sent/attached. As an example, you may want to share your resume, collateral that you are working, or a photo.
How does the Goals section work?
You can add a goal by entering text and then click on ‘Save Goal’. Once a goal has been achieved, you can add a check-mark in the box to the left of the goal.
As the mentee, you can add and edit goals, and check them off once they have been achieved.
What happens if I withdraw an invitation?
If you haven’t heard a response from a mentor or mentee after some time, you may want to withdraw your invitation. To do this, visit the Relationship page that you have with them and below the ‘Next Steps’ section, you will see a button called ‘Withdraw This Request’. When an invitation has been withdrawn an email will be sent to the other person notifying them about this. Once the page has been refreshed, then the relationship will be removed from the relationships section.
Why does the top menu bar sometimes disappear and there is a 3-line button in its place?
The top menu bar disappears, and there is a 3-line button in its place when you are using a different device such as a tablet, phone, etc. Click on the 3-line button, and you will see all the menu options.
How are the hours and the number of meetings tracked?
For Mentoring Hours, you can track the amount of time that you have spent on all your mentoring relationships. And, for each mentoring relationship, you can track the number of meetings that you have had with a particular mentor or mentee. When you use our scheduling functionality then it will automatically track the number of hours and the number of meetings.
How will I be notified when I receive an invitation?
All notifications will be delivered to you via email and through push notifications if you have our app. You will receive an email and notification when you have received an invitation, when you have been accepted or declined for a mentoring relationship, when it’s time to fill in a program evaluation, when a message has been sent, and more.
On the site, there is also a bell icon (on the top right-hand side of the page) where you will see your mentoring notifications as well.
Why should I complete the Mentoring Agreement?
The mentoring agreement is very important as it will help you to discuss and document the expectations for your mentoring relationships. When a change has been made to an agreement, the other person will be notified about the change.
How do I unpair from my current mentor/mentee?
If for whatever reason your current partnership isn't working out, you have the option to unpair yourself from your mentor/mentee by completing the relationship. To do so, click 'Relationships' from the top menu, then click that person's name.
On the right side of the screen, under 'You are currently at Stage 2', below 'Next Steps', click the blue button 'END RELATIONSHIP'. An email will be sent to the other person notifying them about this. Once the page has been refreshed, then the relationship will be removed from the relationships section, and you can search for a new mentor/mentee.