ASBMR 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting FAQs
Presenter and Attendee Information
Why is the ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting moved to a virtual meeting?
- To ensure the safety, health and well-being of our meeting attendees in light of the coronavirus pandemic, as well as to be in compliance with the state of Washington’s phase regulations, we determined that a virtual meeting is in the best interest of our members and partners.
When is the new virtual meeting?
- The ASBMR virtual meeting will be held September 11-15, 2020. The meeting times will be held in the Eastern Time Zone (ET).
What is the cost of registration for the 2020 Virtual Meeting?
- The ASBMR Virtual Annual Meeting (September 11-15) will be free to ASBMR members (Full/In-Training/APDEM/Emerging Country/Emeritus). There will be a registration fee for non-members. All attendees will be required to register for the meeting. Registration information, including non-member fees will be available in mid-July 2020.
What will be included in registration?
- Registration will include access to the full ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting Program, the ASBMR Symposium: The Seed and Soil: Therapeutic Targets for Cancer and Bone and Meet-the-Professor program scheduled to occur throughout the fall and winter of 2020. This will include all live sessions and on demand presentations.
How do I become a member of ASBMR?
- To become a member of ASBMR, please visit our membership page. You will then be directed to choose the type of membership you wish to purchase. If you have any questions regarding this, please email email@example.com or call +1 (202) 367-1161.
Will my abstract still be published in JBMR?
- Yes, all accepted abstracts will be published as a supplement to the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research (JBMR®).
Since the in-person ASBMR Annual Meeting is cancelled, will I receive a refund for my abstract submission?
- No. A refund will not be provided for abstract submissions. All accepted abstracts will be published as a supplement to the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research (JBMR®).
Are Abstracts/Posters available as part of the ASBMR Virtual Meeting?
- All presenters will have the capability of sharing their abstract virtually in either an oral or poster presentation. Abstract notifications will be sent to all presenting authors in July.
Will Young Investigator Awards and abstract awards still be awarded for the ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting?
- Yes. Young Investigator Awards and Outstanding Abstract Awards will be still be awarded. If you are selected for one of these awards, a recognition plaque and a $500 honorarium will be sent to you.
Will Travel Grants still be awarded for the ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting.
- No. These grants are intended for travel assistance to the meeting so no travel grants will be provided.
Will there be a family care grant available so that I can attend the virtual meeting?
- ASBMR will be offering a modified version of the Family Care grants program to eligible participants this year. More information regarding the grants will be available in mid-July 2020.
More than one of my abstracts was selected to be an oral presentation, can I present more than one?
- You can have more than one oral presentation, but the Program Committee may decide to limit the number of oral presentations to two.
My colleague’s abstract was picked to be an oral presentation, but he cannot speak English very well. Can he still try to present?
- ASBMR is working to provide virtual solutions for these meetings and this page will be updated with further information as it becomes available.
Are all ancillary events associated with the ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting canceled as well?
- ASBMR is working to find solutions for these meetings and this page will be updated with further information.
Will there still be Meet-the-Professor (MTP) sessions?
- MTP sessions will be offered as supplemental sessions to the Annual Meeting throughout the remainder of 2020. These sessions will be included in the registration package for the Annual Meeting. More information on these sessions will follow in the coming weeks.
I am going to present in a session at the meeting, can I still cite the Annual Meeting presentation in my CV?
- While this year’s meeting will not occur in-person, you are still able to cite the presentation in your CV.
- Sample Citation: [Presenter]. (2020, September 11-15). [Presentation Title]. American Society for Bone and Mineral Research’s Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, United States. (Conference held virtually)
Can I receive a certificate of participation for the ASBMR Virtual Annual Meeting?
- Certificates will be made available after the virtual meeting to those who request it.
What types of presentations will be featured in the Virtual Meetings?
- The ASBMR 2020 Annual Meeting will hold lectures, symposia, oral presentations, poster presentations and more.
Will there be concurrent sessions during the virtual meeting?
- Sessions will run concurrently with participants able to move between the sessions during the live event.
Will the sessions be available after the virtual meeting?
- Each session will be available for on demand viewing after the live broadcast.
Will the abstracts of the virtual meeting presentations be made available?
- These will be available to ASBMR members and meeting registrants through the Online Itinerary Builder and ASBMR Abstracts PDF. These will be available about 2 weeks prior the Annual Meeting.
Will ASBMR’s 2020 Pre-Meeting Symposium, The Seed and Soil: Therapeutic Targets for Cancer in Bone still take place?
- ASBMR’s 2020 Pre-Meeting Symposium, The Seed and Soil: Therapeutic Targets for Cancer in Bone will take place virtually Thursday, September 10. This year, registration to this event will be included with Annual Meeting registration.
What if I was not able to participate in the ASBMR Virtual Meeting on September 11-15?
- All sessions will be available for on demand viewing after the live broadcasts occurring September 11-15.
How can I engage with ASBMR Virtual attendees?
The virtual meeting will offer numerous opportunities for participants to connect with one another both during the live event as well as afterwards. The virtual event will also provide many new member volunteer opportunities. More information on these opportunities will be shared over the summer.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
Is the ASBMR Virtual Annual Meeting accredited for CME?
- The ASBMR Virtual Annual Meeting (September 11-15) will be accredited for CME. Details regarding credits will be posted in late July.
Travel and Hotel Information
Will attendees be refunded for hotel costs?
- No, we will not refund hotel costs. ASBMR is not responsible for travel bookings made before housing block discounts were made available.
Will attendees be refunded for airline tickets?
- No, we will not refund individual airline ticket costs. Please contact your airline directly regarding ticket cancellations. If you purchased travel insurance, please contact your provider for information and next steps.
Please direct any additional questions regarding the 2020 Annual Meeting to the ASBMR at +1 (202) 367-1161 or firstname.lastname@example.org.