In order to create a more transparent, rigorous, and qualitative nominations process, the following process will be used to evaluate all Council and Committee applicants.
In addition to providing a CV/biosketch, brief overview of prior ASBMR volunteer experience, and optional demographic information, candidates are asked to provide answers to the following questions for the Council or Committee(s) position(s) they are applying for:
- What prior experience do you bring to the leadership position(s) that you selected that you believe will help to accomplish or address its current goals and issues?
- What would you like to accomplish during your three-year tenure as a volunteer leader on the Council/Committee(s) selected above?
- What are one or two ideas you would like to bring to the Council/Committee(s) selected to help address issues facing our membership and the Society?
Candidates are only allowed to select up to two volunteer leadership positions to apply for among the open Council and Committee vacancies.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to reach out to current Committee Chairs to learn more about the committee(s) and the issues they are currently working to address. Current committee chairs can be found on the individual Committee pages. Their contact information can be found in the ASBMR member directory.
The application can be previewed here.
The Nominating Committee will use the following criteria in evaluating candidates for the open Councilor and Committee vacancies:
- Quality of answers provided to the application questions above.
- Alignment of proposed ideas and prior experience with the Council or Committee's current direction.
- Past volunteer experience.
- Overall balance of demographic diversity (basic/clinical/translational researcher, geographic location, gender, self-identified diversity representation) on the committees.
- Recommendation by Committee Chairs - Committee Chairs have the opportunity to review candidates applying for their committee and provide input on the candidates for the Nominating Committee's consideration.
- January 29, 2020: Applications Open.
- March 11, 2020: Application Deadline.
- March - May 2020: Nominating Committee reviews received applications and prepares a Slate of Nominees for the ASBMR Council's approval.
- June 2020: Slate of Nominees is presented to ASBMR Council for approval.
- July 2020: All applicants are notified of their status. An electronic ballot is sent to the membership with six candidates for three Councilor positions and two or three candidates for open officer positions.
- August 2020: Councilor/Officer election results and Committee appointments are announced.
- September 14, 2020: All elected Councilors and Officers and appointed Committee members officially begin their three-year terms of service.