Call for Applications for the Next Editor-in-Chief of JBMR® Plus
Deadline: Monday, March 29, 2021
The Editor‐in‐Chief of JBMR® Plus (the “Journal”) reports to the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR) Council and Executive Committee and is responsible for selecting the scientific content of the Journal, publishing articles in basic, translational and clinical science relevant to bone, musculoskeletal, metabolism, and regenerative medicine research, managing peer review of manuscripts submitted to the Journal, upholding high ethical standards, maintaining effective working relationships with relevant ASBMR governance groups, the ASBMR staff, and the publisher, reporting regularly on the status of the Journal to the Publications Committee and ASBMR Council, and participating in the leadership of the ASBMR. The term of service for this position is five years.
Specific Responsibilities of the Editor-in-Chief
- Determining the scientific content of JBMR® Plus and publishing authoritative and high-quality basic, translational, and clinical research in the bone, mineral, and musculoskeletal field;
- Developing and implementing a vision and goals for JBMR® Plus and recommending to the Publications Committee, Executive Committee and Council, at timely intervals, new directions in light of developments in the bone and mineral field and in open access scholarly journal publishing;
- Constituting and overseeing the work of Deputy Editors, Associate Editors, and the Editorial Board;
- Overseeing the peer review of manuscripts to ensure fair, balanced, accurate, and timely reviews and editorial decisions
- Communicating regularly with the JBMR® Editor-in-Chief to align both journals’ strategic initiatives;
- Maintaining effective working relationships with the ASBMR Executive Committee, Council, Publications Committee and other governance groups;
- Serving as an ex-officio member of the ASBMR Council and Publications Committee;
- Making recommendations to the ASBMR Executive Committee, Council, and Publications Committee regarding editorial policies and procedures; Consulting with and making recommendations to the ASBMR Publications Committee regarding the organization, structure and membership of the JBMR® Plus editorial board;
- Working cooperatively with the Publication’s Director, staff of the ASBMR, and the ASBMR’s Publisher in all aspects of producing JBMR® Plus, to include having substantive input on annual expense budgets developed in conjunction with the ASBMR staff.
- Maintaining records, preparing and providing formal reports to the Publications Committee, Council, and other governance groups on the Journal’s editorial operations, including details such as number of and disposition of manuscripts received, intervals from submission to first decision and acceptance to publication, length of the review cycle, and other appropriate information;
- Working cooperatively with the staff of the ASBMR and the ASBMR’s publisher in all aspects of producing JBMR® Plus, including the annual expense budget developed in conjunction with the ASBMR staff and the determination of the publication schedule and format for the content of each issue;
- Approving, in accordance with JBMR® Plus publication schedule, all first‐run advertising (i.e., the initial appearance of an advertisement that is to appear in issues of the Journal);
- Attending and participating in the ASBMR Annual Meeting;
- Organizing and facilitating an annual meeting of JBMR® Plus Editorial Board for the purpose of reporting on and discussing the Journal’s editorial activities;
- Complying with the ASBMR’s requirements regarding conflict of interest reporting and engagement in activities other than serving as Editor‐in‐Chief;
- Consulting the ASBMR Executive Committee about actions that may incur expenses outside the approved budget for JBMR® Plus or the ASBMR.
Earned PhD, DDS, DVM, MD or equivalent degree, broad‐based background in the bone and mineral field, a distinguished research and publication record, high standing among peers, substantive experience with journal editorial processes, outstanding English‐language oral and writing skills, and no major conflicts‐of‐interest. The Editor‐in‐Chief must be able to devote a minimum of 10 hours per week to JBMR® Plus responsibilities. Suitable Internet access is required. The Editor‐in‐Chief will ordinarily be a very highly distinguished doctoral‐level researcher in the bone and mineral field with a well‐established position at an academic/research institution. The position includes a stipend.
The Editor‐in‐Chief will have staff support from both the publisher and the ASBMR. Candidates for the position may be located in any country.
Interested candidates should submit a brief cover letter, curriculum vitae, completed questionnaire and list of potential conflicts of interest, along with letters of support (no more than five) using the online form by Monday, March 29, 2021.
ASBMR Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
The ASBMR membership is a diverse collection of individuals from different backgrounds, countries, and cultures who comprise a host of life experiences, values, and beliefs. Our diversity is not only reflective of the world, but it also makes us better and more innovative. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.