Mar 27, 2014
The Impact of Type 1 Diabetes on Bone: Cell and Molecular Mechanisms
Type 1 diabetes is characterized by hypoinsulinemia and hyperglycemia and afflicts one in every 400 to 600 children in United States. Bone loss and increased fracture risk are serious complications of T1D patients. This webinar will provide an overview on the effects of type 1 diabetes on the skeleton and will highlight findings in mouse models and comparable findings in diabetic patients. Cellular and molecular mechanisms will be explored.
As a result of this webinar participants will be able to:
- Identify the current animal models available and the type 1 diabetic bone pathology in models and diabetic patients.
- Discuss the role of gender, location, mouse strain and age in the bone responses to type 1 diabetes.
- Characterize bone marrow changes in type 1 diabetes.
- Establish a role for the bone marrow microenvironment in type 1 diabetic bone loss.
- Discuss regulators of bone loss and therapeutic targets.
Length: 60 minutes