- Submission Deadline: October 28, 2022
- Award Notification Date: December 14, 2022
The ASBMR Career-Life Balance Initiative aims to support Women in the bone, mineral and musculoskeletal fields by providing supplemental funding to support continuity in their research during childbirth and maternity‐related events. Up to five awards of $15,000 each will be awarded in 2023. These funds will support the advancement of promising research by enabling the recipients to take-on temporary staff support such as a research technician, research assistant, teaching assistant, etc.
The women of the ASBMR, and in the workforce in general, have an increased risk of leaving their careers after the birth of their first child or subsequent births. There is a real need for more support for parents during the period of their life when they are welcoming a baby to their family, especially women who typically play the largest role in pregnancy, birth, and breast-feeding/pumping, in the early months. Women scientists could be better supported during the emotional, psychological, and physical challenges of this period of life, which would make it easier for them to do both, parent and work. By working to support these women, the ASBMR is positioned to be an even stronger global leader in forging new and transformative discoveries, driving learning, and supporting innovations to combat diseases of the bone at the basic, clinical, and translational level.
Eligible applicants must:
- Be a current ASBMR member for three years
- Hold an MD, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree
- Have given birth, adopted, or become a mother in the last year, or be pregnant or planning to adopt a child in 2023
- Be the principal investigator for a research project, the progress of which would benefit from such funding support
- Provide evidence of strong research training, productivity, and a commitment to a career in fundamental (basic) and/or clinical research
Applications will need to include:
- Title and explanation of Research Project
- Justification of needs statement (2 pages) to
- Describe what the funds will be used for (i.e. new technician hire, or further support within the lab)
- Address how the money would allow the caregiver to remain in their career and advance in the field
- An institutional letter of support
- Biosketch or CV
The submission deadline for this award has passed.
Please contact us if you have any questions prior to submitting your application.