The Nominating Committee is charged with identifying candidates for officer (President-Elect and Secretary-Treasurer-Elect) to stand for election by the general membership. Serving as an ASBMR officer is a tremendous honor and privilege, as well as a great responsibility to carry the Society forward. The selection process for these candidates is rigorous to ensure that the best two candidates are put forward to the membership for election. Below is a brief outline of the officer selection process:
- The Nominating Committee generates a list of members who they believe would be suitable candidates for open officer positions. These candidates are then ranked on a selection of leadership criteria:
- Clinical/translational researcher with solid understanding of basic science issues, or basic/translational researcher with solid understanding of clinical issues
- Communicative, able to articulate ASBMR’s vision and activities and communicate externally to NIH/FDA/the press
- Committed/Engaged/Available, able to shift work responsibilities to dedicate the time to role of Officer
- Tough-minded optimism
- Desire to serve others, putting service ahead of self-interest
- Delivers on promises and commitments
- Surfaces and confronts issues and conflict with openness and candor, balanced with diplomacy and empathy
- Compassion, kindness, caring for others
- Visionary (vs. micromanaging)
- Recent experience as ASBMR Councilor/Committee Chair.
Identified candidates are encouraged to apply (See Step 2 below).
- Applicants for an officer position submit a volunteer leadership nomination form, CV and additional materials (position specific questions and Conflict-of-Interest form). NOTE: All current ASBMR members may apply for an officer position regardless of if identified by the Nominating Committee.
- The Nominating Committee reviews the applicants and selects the top candidates to participate in an oral interview with the committee and the ASBMR Executive Director. The oral interviews allow the Nominating Committee to ask candidates more specific questions based upon their written responses to questions from their application..
4. The Nominating presents to the ASBMR Council its recommendations for the top two candidates for each officer position. The approved slate of officers are presented to the membership via electronic ballot for vote in the summer.
Timeline for 2023
- February 2, 2023: Applications Open.
- March 15, 2023: Application Deadline.
- March - April 2023: Nominating Committee reviews received applications and prepares a Slate of Nominees for the ASBMR Council's approval.
- June 2023: Slate of Nominees is presented to ASBMR Council for approval.
- June-July 2023: All applicants are notified of their status. An electronic ballot is sent to the membership with six candidates for three Councilor positions and two or three candidates for the positions of President-Elect and Secretary-Treasurer-Elect.
- August 2023: Councilor/Officer election results and Committee appointments are announced.
- October 11, 2023: Elected Officers attend the Fall Council Meeting in Vancouver, Canada prior to the Annual Meeting
- October 16, 2023: All elected Councilors and Officers and appointed Committee members begin their three-year terms of service.