Upcoming ASBMR Member Spotlight Schedule
Click on the meeting date below to register for an individual meeting, or click here to register for the entire series.
Dec 15, 2021 1:00 PM
- Presenter 1: Joy Wu, M.D., Ph.D., Associate Professor and Vice Chair of Basic Science at Stanford University School of Medicine will present her research which focuses on stem cells as a source of osteoblasts for skeletal regeneration.
- Presenter 2: Saravana Ramasamy, Ph.D., Group Head at Imperial College London will present on the topic of functions of blood vessels in the skeletal system.
Past Presentations & Recordings
November 17, 2021
Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SHktB-9HJY
- Presenter 1: Alicia Diaz-Thomas, M.D., MPH, Associate Professor, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, will present on Cerebral palsy and identifying those children and young adults who would most benefit from intervention ( nutritional, mobility, bisphsophonate).
- Presenter 2: Rodrigo Valderrabano, M.D., Assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, and Medical Director of Clinical Research at Brigham and Women's Hospital, will present on the European Working Group on Sarcopenia in Older People 2 (EWGSOP2) sarcopenia muscular strength and performance cutoffs are associated with incident hip fractures and analysis in the Cardiovascular Health Study.
November 10, 2021
Special session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMLy4EijQ7c
This special session of the Member Spotlight Series featured two 2021 ASBMR Under-Represented Minority Mentor Awardees.
- Awardee 1: Markia Bowe, PhD Candidate at the University of Florida presents on Compariing Subchondral Bone Remodeling Following Either Anterior Cruciate Ligament or Medial Meniscus Damage in the Rat
- Awardee 2: Ernesto Solorzano, Ph.D., at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) presents on the Detrimental Effects of Low Aerobic Capacity on Bone Metabolism.
October 27, 2021
Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4h1kT4xF4
- Presenter 1: Diego Grinman, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Associate at Yale School of Medicine will present on the role of the parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) in tumor progression and the development cancer anorexia cachexia syndrome (CACS) in a model of breast cancer.
- Presenter 2: Rachel Davey, Ph.D., Professor at The University of Melbourne will present on how testosterone affects fat mass and metabolic function.
August 25, 2021
Session Recording: https://youtu.be/-DnSXwbJ3x4
- Presenter 1: Marco Brotto, BSN, MPharm, Ph.D., Hazel Jay Endowed Professor & Director, Bone-Muscle Research Center, University of Texas, Arlington will present on bone-muscle crosstalk range from cell, animal, to human models.
- Presenter: Charles Schurman, Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco, will present his research which identifies physical defects behind functional losses of the LCN and explores, through in silico modeling, potential ways to restore stimulation to aged osteocyte networks.
July 28, 2021
Session Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zf0HrDu6iU
- Presenter 1: Mary Beth Humphrey, M.D., Ph.D., University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center will present "Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation is Regulated by Primary Cilia"
- Presenter 2: Julie Paik, M.D., ScD, Assistant Professor at Brigham and Women's Hospital will present on on the association between sleep domains and risk of hip and vertebral fractures in the Nurses' Health Studies.
Jun 30, 2021
Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjSajJ1U-Ek
- Presenter 1: Noriyoshi Kurihara, DDS, Ph.D., Research Professor at Indiana University, will present on the contribute of osteoclast-IGF1 and osteocyte on paget lesions formation in Paget's bone disease.
- Presenter 2: Jon Paul Elizondo, Ph.D., Texas A&M University, College Station will present on jump training and sclerostin antibody treatment as preventive countermeasures to microgravity-induced bone loss.
May 26, 2021
Session recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfZTc6MGvFEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfZTc6MGvFE
- Presenter 1: Baohong Zhao, DMD, PhD, Associate Professor at the Hospital for Special surgery will present on type-I IFN signaling in osteoblasts and osteogenesis.
- Presenter 2: Marta Galán-Díez, Ph.D., Associate Research Scientist at Columbia University will present on analyzing the role of the bone marrow microenvironment (specifically osteoblasts) in acute myeloid leukemia progression*
*presentation not recorded
April 28, 2021
Session Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kriJ6IMKnto
- Presenter 1: Viral Shah, M.D., Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, University of Colorado Denver presents on bone health in type 1 diabetes
December 17, 2020
Session Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utlyRV-wwr8
- Presenter 1: Rachana Vaidya, MS, Ph.D. Candidate at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Rachana’s research aims to help in identification of key bone specific biomarkers as therapeutic targets to improve the bone quality of diabetic patients with a higher fracture risk.
- Presenter 2: Prof. Gustavo Duque, M.D., Ph.D., University of Melbourne, will present on a practical approach to osteosarcopenia in clinical practice and, evidence on the Falls and Fractures Clinic as the most cost-effective model of care for osteosarcopenia.
December 3, 2020
Session Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGaChiHJ55Y
- Presenter 1: Peggy Cawthon, Ph.D., Senior Scientist at California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute (CPMCRI), will be presenting on the role of muscle mass in falls, fractures and bone strength: analyses from the MrOS study.
- Presenter 2: Quamarul Hassan, Ph.D, Associate Professor at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. Dr. Hassan’s presentation is titled MicroRNA-Chromatin Crosstalk is Essential for Bone Mass Maintenance.
November 5, 2020
Session Recording: https://youtu.be/IeIvpHfULLk
- Presenter 1: Ahmad Othman, MSc, PhD Candidate at Rush University Medical Center. Ahmad’s research is in examining the role of Runx2 in promoting microtubule stability and autophagy in bone metastatic breast cancer
October 22, 2020
Session Recording: https://youtu.be/-tAmSzS0LWw
- Presenter 1: Rhonda Prisby, Ph.D., Lab Director and Professor at the University of Texas at Arlington and ASBMR Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Chair will present on the Bone Vascular System
- Presenter 2: Paula A. Hernandez, Ph.D., Senior Research Scientist at University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center will be presenting on Osteoarthritic changes at the chondrocyte level