Established in 2012, the Phoebe Leboy Professional Development Award is named in honor of the legacy and contributions of Dr. Phoebe Leboy. Dr. Leboy was a longstanding ASBMR member who tirelessly championed ASBMR programs and initiatives including her lifelong dedication to mentoring young investigators. She carried out a number of important studies on the inequities faced by women in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics and made it her mission to see these barriers removed.
The Phoebe Leboy Professional Development Award is for a female young investigator who resides outside the United States. The award will provide the resources needed for the selected individual to attend the ASBMR Annual Meeting, mentorship from senior women in related areas of research, and membership in ASBMR. The award amount is up to $2,000 USD. Preference will be given to an applicant residing in an emerging or developing country, for a complete list of ASBMR designating developing countries, click here.
- Must not work or reside in the United States
- Must be a female young investigator in the bone field within five years of completion of a Ph.D., M.D., residency training or international equivalent
- Must plan to submit an abstract to the ASBMR Annual Meeting
- Must be a current ASBMR member for less than 5 years
The following application materials are required:
- Career Objectives, provide a summary of your career objectives. Include career goals, training needs, and any areas where mentoring would be beneficial. (Summary should be no more than two pages.)
- Annual Meeting Abstract (draft form acceptable), Attach the abstract or a draft of the abstract you plan to submit for the ASBMR Annual Meeting. Abstract text must be no more than 400 words.
- Letter of Support, Attach one (1) letter of support from an academic reference. Your academic reference can be from a mentor, collaborator or senior researcher in lab or at institution - an ASBMR member is preferred but not required.
- Current CV or Biosketch
The award amount is up to $2,000 to help cover flights, housing and any other travel costs to attend the Annual Meeting plus Annual Meeting registration. If awarded the Phoebe Leboy Award, the awardee commits to submitting an abstract to the 2021 ASBMR Annual Meeting and attending the meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada from October 1 -4, 2021.
The application deadline for the 2021 Phoebe Leboy Professional Development Award is
Friday, March 19, 2021.